1 Peter 2:9-10 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
Matt. 16:15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
Matt. 16:16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
Matt. 16:17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter,b and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of deathc will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will bed bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will bed loosed in heaven.”
Jeremiah 13:11 I made the whole house of Israel and the whole house of Judah cling to me, declares the Lord, that they might be for me a people, a name, a praise, and a glory.
10 His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, 11 according to his eternal purpose that he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord.
1. The Church is God's idea.
2. Loving Jesus means that we also love the church.
3. The church shows the beauty of Jesus' salvation to the world
- Why is it important to remember that God established the church?
- In what ways does the church display the beauty of salvation to the world? (Eph 3:10-11)
- Read Matthew 16:13-19 as a group. Why is this passage significant as we think about Jesus' intention for the church?
- What role does a church member have in a church being healthy?
- How can your group help our church be more centered on Jesus and His ministry to others?
- Spend time as a group praying for the global church and CRBC. Also, pray for other churches in our area.
Posted on Sun, April 23, 2017
by Brad Mardis filed under