1 Peter 3:17
But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect (1 Peter 3:17)
The text literally reads, “Revere Christ as Lord, always being prepared to give an answer…”.
Evangelism comes out of reverence for Christ. As we revere Christ it becomes natural for us to share our faith with others.
Three main points here to this passage:
1. BE PREPARED
2. TO GIVE AN ANSWER FOR THE REASON
Christianity is not just about emotion- it is first and foremost about reason. To accept Christ you accept a set of important suppositions and propositions. You must embrace these things and put them in your heart and know WHY your believe as much as WHAT your believe.
3. FOR THE HOPE YOU HAVE
4. GENTLENESS AND RESPECT
PRACTICAL EXPRESSIONS OF CONTAGIOUS HOPE:
1. Let people around you know you are a Christian in a natural, unforced way.
2. Ask friends about their faith.
3. Listen to your friend's problems and offer to pray for them.
4. Share your problems with others and explain how your faith helps you.
5. Give them a book to read.
6. Share your story.
7. Answer objections to and questions about Christianity.
8. Invite them to a church event.
9. Offer to read the Bible with them.
10. Take them to a course that explores Christianity.
- What is the connection between revering Christ and evangelism?
- Why is it important to express your faith naturally?
- Why is it important to express your Christianity with “gentleness and respect”?
- What are some ways you can prepare to give a reason for your faith?
- What is the hope we have in Christ?
Posted on Sun, October 9, 2016
by Brad Mardis filed under